Witness A Blessing

A funny thing happened at the restaurant last night...

Amidst all of the chaos of a crazy Saturday night at the old Bonefish Grill, I was blessed with the opportunity to see someone be blessed.  While I was serving last night, I walked up to yet another table full of guests eagerly awaiting their portion of Bang Bang Shrimp.  I thought it would be just another normal table, but my 'hello, how are you all doin' tonight' was greeted with an equally enthusiastic 'hello' and the brightest blue eyes you've ever seen.  This little girl who was probably about 10 or 12 years old had a light in her eyes that is hard to find in this world.  Her smile was beaming with excitement.  Grinning from ear to ear, she couldn't wait to ask for the Bang Bang shrimp.  And what made her even more special was that she had this joy even though the sparse amount of blonde hair on her head told me that her light was shining thru a struggle with cancer.

As dinner went on, this little girl proved she was genuine, authentic, funny, and truly joyful, and I got the chance to be her server.  HOW COOL IS THAT?  For one brief hour, I got to be a part of an experience that I found out later was a celebration because her numbers were up and she was able to actually go out in public.  She chose Bonefish for her celebratory dinner and she had macaroni and cheese.  I LOVE IT!

So, just to top it all off, another server came over and told me that his table was taking care of the check for my favorite guests EVER (yep, they definitely get that title, hands down).  The coolest part?  The people paying for the check didn't want them to know who did it.  Wow.  So, I went over to my favorite little family, took a deep breath, and told them that their check was paid for.  They were so happy and I turned away from the little girl so that she wouldn't see me cry (I'm a girl, okay...geez). 

Anyway, the little girl and her family left, so I went to tell the guests who paid 'thank you.'  They humbly replied that they knew that family probably couldn't afford dinner, so it was the least they could do.  Well, that made a sistah have to cry a little bit more (exit, blubbering mess).  But, it's something that I won't ever forget.

So, today, I'm just thankful that I got to witness something amazing come out of something that is so very tragic.  Light shines in the darkness.  And this little girl's light truly shines so bright. 

Romans 8:28--And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

0 comments:

Post a Comment